Tuesday, December 21, 2010

When Parents Text

Announcing the best thing I've seen on the internet lately!! And I hear from my friend Connie that it's a "Smith HP venture" which I'm pretty sure means it was started by one of Smith's House Presidents. Sometimes Connie is hard to understand - she's an econ major, and she's British. So I neither understand what she's talking about nor the words she's saying. JK!

I like to poke fun of my friends a lot

Anyway, the site is whenparentstext.com. That about says it all, you guys can figure it out from there. These are some of my favorites:

Mom: What’s that site you like to find jokes on? Noodle About?
Me: Stumble Upon.

Dad: Hi Roo! Don’t let your studies get the best of you! Just do the best you canand you will be fine! You’re probably thinking easy for him to say! But I know how you feel! I often feel overwhelmed at work! Actually I’m on my way to work to rework my reply brief! I’m not happy with the first draft! I ask myself- why is this so hard? Anyway, it will all work out ! Love, Dad
 
Mom: Lunar eclipse tonight 1:30 am next one 2094- I’LL BE DEAD

but the one that had me in stitches was


Mom: How do I turn my phone off?
Me: Hold the red power button down. It’s usually the end call button
Mom: I don’t understand. I am getting on a plane. I don’t want to cause a plane crash.
Mom: Hi this is Steve, your mom wanted to let you know she found help turning off her phone, she’ll talk to you in 14 hours. Love you! (this is mom)

I wish I had saved the first text I ever got from my mom.  It was some very disjointed sentence with terrible punctuation (very unlike my mom). It went something like this:
It's snowing   Steve sledded down the street! so much fun. 
And I had absolutely no idea what she was talking about. Come to find out later, she was in Seattle with her brother visiting their sister, and it was snowing. They all grew up in Texas, and now they live in Houston, the Bay Area, and Seattle, so their encounters with snow are rare. They are all about 60, so them sledding was ridiculous in itself. I thought the whole thing was hilarious. Oh, and I think it was split into two texts that she sent like 20 minutes apart.

No comments: