Monday, December 13, 2010

Kenny G (Fun Fact)

In this series, I'd like to share interesting tidbits and useless information. You'll thank me the next time you're having an awkward moment at a holiday party.

Without further ado, here is our first Fun Fact
In 1997, Kenny G earned a place in the Guinness Book of World Records for playing the longest note ever recorded on a saxophone. Using circular breathing, Kenny G held an E-flat for 45 minutes and 47 seconds at J&R Music World in New York City.[14]
 Whoa! That's a long time to be playing a note. Can you imagine watching that happen? It'd be a cross between really amazing and really boring. I wonder what the rest of his body was doing at that time. What facial expression do you imagine he would have made?

I always thought Kenny G was some super cool rapper. Now I know he looks like this

and is definitely not a gangsta. He's a 90s breakout star jazz saxaphone player.

What kind of saxaphone player has a gangsta name like  Kenny G? I feel tricked. And surprised. This is as mindblowing as when I found out that Georgia O'Keefe wasn't black!

Take a listen:


Thanks for the info, Wikipedia!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenny_G

No comments: