Sunday, October 24, 2010

'Je ne sais quoi'

Check out this awesome news story. This is the kind of news I like: the bit stories that make you go, 'hm! Imagine that!'

Parisian flat lay untouched for 70 years (Telegraph)


I dream of happening upon things like this. Of walking into a room and finding priceless treasures. Or secrets. Or mementos. They all tell you stories, which I love. I especially like kids' stories. They really get my imagination going! And once I get going I have a lot of fun in my imagination. 

But, this apartment is beautiful! Look at that rug, and that mirror! And those gorgeous windows. With the wallpaper, which is amazing. And that white chair with the flowers embroidered onto the backing. I love it all. 

Why do French people always manage to pull off stuff like that? What seems super cheesy and over the top here is totally normal in France (you know, from the 2 days I spent there when I became an expert). They have a very interesting national sentiment, those French, and not one I always understand.  

Regardless, I would love to have that apartment. I would add a few solid, slightly rustic wood pieces to tone it down a little, but I love all those curls and gilt and frills. A whole room like that though, and it feels too airy-fairy. 

Maybe someday I will find some treasure. Actually, cool story: One time my dad went on a hike in the mud and when he cleaned out his boots later he found a cut diamond in the dirt....seriously, who does that??? Sometimes I think that just about sums up his life.